9 Snacks To Get Over The 3 O’Clock Slump
We’ve all experienced it. Somewhere in the 3 o’clock hour, something weird happens. We suddenly want food. And quickly. Why 3 o’clock? Studies show that, for most people, the blood sugar drops, causing us to feel sleepy, unable to concentrate and ravenous.
When the slump comes, don’t go for coffee.
Here are some energizing snacks to have handy when the craving hits.
- Nuts: A mixture of your favorite nuts combined with dried fruit like raisins or blueberries are a delicious afternoon snack that is easy to prepare and store ahead of time.
- Yogurt: Get your fill of protein with a cup of yogurt. Top with granola or berries for a little something extra.
- Smoothies: Blend your favorite milk, berries, bananas or other fruit, protein powder or supplement, pour and enjoy!
- Olives: Olives, eaten sparingly, can fulfill that salty craving while providing nutrition.
- Hummus: This protein-packed snack is great spread on pita chips or used as a dip for baby carrots or celery sticks.
- Water: Many times, water can not only quench our thirst but also squelch a food craving. Try an 8-ounce glass before eating your snack to ensure you’re also hydrated .
- Chopped Veggies: Veggies are a healthy and nutritious snack that can be prepared at home and are good cold or at room temperature.
- Sandwich with protein: Sometimes we need a little more than a snack. Put a couple of slices of turkey, cheese or even avocado for a filling snack.
- Popcorn: Upgrade your popcorn by adding a tasty twist to ordinary popcorn. Combine it with butter, ranch seasoning, curry powder, all-purpose seasoning, fresh rosemary, Parmesan cheese or whatever your heart desires.