Glow Up: Great Skin Begins With Good Habits
There are tons of skincare products on the market, but there really is truth to the saying, beauty comes from within. Great skin begins with good habits. What you eat and drink contributes to the look, feel and texture of your skin. And there are many simple natural oils and supplements you can use. Here are a few tips for great skin:
Food and Drink
- Water, water, water. Dehydrated skin is dull skin. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, at least eight to ten 8-ounce glasses of water each day. No time to count glasses of water? Invest in a water bottle with measurements to keep track of your daily water intake.
- Fatty fish like salmon and herring are full of essential fatty acids and vitamin E that nourish the skin.
- Walnuts are a good source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, both need to fight inflammation and nourish the skin.
- Avocados have a high fat content, which keeps the skin moist and flexible.
- Red or yellow bell peppers and carrots are high in beta carotene and vitamin C, reducing wrinkles and dry skin.
- Green tea can help protect the skin against sun damage and improve skin elasticity.
- Rosehip oil contains vitamins C and vitamin A, which can protect against signs of aging and helps with overall skin texture and hydration.
- Tea tree oil’s anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties can be helpful in treating mild to moderate acne. Note: tea tree oil can be extremely strong so test a small area on the skin first before applying over face. Always dilute essential oils by adding a base oil like jojoba, coconut or avocado oil.
- Jojoba oil is a gentle, nutrient-rich, moisturizing oil that can be used on the entire body. This oil can reduce inflammation, redness and fine lines.
- Avocado oil is full of good stuff, including beta carotene, fatty acids, and vitamins A, D, and E. These all moisturize and protect the skin against damaging UV rays and help increase collagen levels.