8 Tips to Combat Hair Loss
As we endure daily stress or even the natural process of aging, our bodies can react by shedding hair. Maintaining healthy hair is a daily commitment. From keeping the scalp healthy to giving the body the nutrients necessary to spark hair growth, loving your locks requires attention.
Incorporate these 8 tips to get your hair back.
- Hydrate: Make sure you get enough water daily to feed your cells and keep your skin and scalp hydrated.
- Massage: Give your scalp a gentle massage each day to stimulate the hair follicles and encourage growth.
- Keep the scalp clean. A dirty, sweaty scalp can cause the hair to break off. Wash your hair regularly to rid the hair and scalp of buildup. If you work out daily, it’s important to wash your scalp at least once a week.
- Be gentle on your hair and scalp. Over-treating the hair with harsh chemicals like gels and hair holding sprays can tax the hair and scalp. Also, wearing styles that consistently pull the hair can cause breakage.
- Turn down the heat. Protect your hair by limiting the amount of heat you apply daily. Set the temperature just below the hottest setting or apply a moisturizing product to the hair before blow drying or styling for added protection. If you wear your hair natural, consider using some heat on the hair to dry it then allowing the hair to air dry until it is completely dry.
- Take supplements. The hair requires specific vitamins and minerals to grow. Consider taking biotin or collagen supplements to boost hair growth. Check your local health food store for a wide variety of products. Other vitamins include iron, vitamin C, D, omega-3 and 6 fatty acids and zinc.
- Try to keep stress at bay. Stress can wreak havoc on the body, especially the hair. Find ways to calm your mind and spirit like meditation, deep breathing, even exercise to reset and restore balance.
- Essential oils. Keep the hair and follicles moisturized with a nutrient-rich oils like olive oil, jojoba, coconut, avocado or almond oil. Add a few drops of rosemary or peppermint essential oil for added stimulation.
*Keep in mind that certain medical conditions can cause hair loss, so consult a physician to be sure there are no underlying health problems.