Fall Cleaning, From the Inside Out
As cold and flu season creeps upon us, now is a good time to cleanse your body from the inside out. Over time, toxins build up in the body as the result of the pollutants in the air we breathe and the chemicals in the food and water we consume. Sometimes, the body tries to rid itself of these toxins and releases them from the tissues. The toxins then enter the bloodstream, causing the body to experience a “low” or “down” cycle. As a result, you may suffer from headaches, diarrhea or even depression.
At least once a year, give your body a break. If possible, cleanse the body when the seasons change, at least four times a year.
Cleansing with fresh, organic fruit and vegetable juices is beneficial. Eating lighter, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, is also a good, gentle way to give the body’s organs a break. After cleansing, the body will feel lighter, the mind clearer and digestion smoother. A 3-day fast helps the body rid itself of toxins and cleanses the blood. A 5-day fast begins the process of healing and rebuilding the immune system. A 10-day fast can take care of many problems before they arise and help to fight off illness, including the degenerative diseases that have become so common in our chemically polluted environment.
So what happens during a fast?
- Toxin excretion continues, while the intake of new toxins is reduced. This results in a reduction of total body toxicity.
- The energy usually used for digestion is redirected to immune function, cell growth, and eliminatory processes.
- The immune system’s workload is greatly reduced, and the digestive tract is spared any inflammation due to allergic reactions to food.
- Due to lowering of serum fats that thins the blood, tissue oxygenation is increased and white blood cells are moved more efficiently.
- Pesticides and drugs that are stored in fat are released.