How to Prepare Traditional Matcha Green Tea
For centuries, green tea has been a mainstay of overall health. This antioxidant-rich beverage has been proven to help:
- Improve cognitive health
- Aid in weight loss
- Protect against cancer
- Lower the risk of heart disease
- May lower the risk of breast, prostate and colorectal cancer
There are numerous green tea products on the market. From teabags to green tea-infused snacks, it’s easy to get the benefits of its nutrients.
Matcha green tea is made by grinding young tea leaves into a fine powder. Very high in antioxidants, matcha is an upgrade from other green teas. One study found that matcha contains up to 137 times more antioxidants than low-grade green tea and up to 3 times more antioxidants than other high-quality teas.
How to Prepare Matcha
- Heat 6 ounces of filtered water in a small pot. Heat to just before boiling.
- In a mug or traditional matcha tea mug, whisk together 1 teaspoon of matcha powder with the water. You can also use a frother.
- Whisk for 2 minutes or froth until completely mixed.
- Add 1/4 cup of nut milk for added creaminess.