Foods to Avoid to Sleep Like a Baby
Getting quality sleep happens well before your head hits the pillow. The habits you create upon awakening determine if you have a sleepless night or sleep like a baby.
Here are foods that you should cross off your list in order to get a good night’s rest.
- Chocolate and coffee are high in caffeine and give you energy, making it difficult to get a deep sleep. Cut off coffee consumption before noon to allow the body to rid itself of caffeine before heading to bed.
- Cheeses contain tyramine, an amino acid that causes the brain to release a natural stimulant that sparks brain activity.
- Ice cream, broccoli, brussel sprouts and similar foods can cause painful gas and keep you up late.
- Bananas are nature’s natural energy booster, not something you need when trying to get rest.
- Alcohol and other acidic beverages like citrus juices can trigger acid reflux and disturb your sleep patterns.
- Fried foods or heavy meats like steak can cause indigestion
- Spicy foods like curry can cause heartburn and boost your body’s temperature.
- Celery, watermelon, cucumbers, tomatoes and other foods with a high water content can make you have to go to the bathroom throughout the night.