Top 10 Healthy Foods in Your Favorite Grocery Store
Exercise is important when trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. But what goes into your mouth is equally as important.
Print this list of healthy foods and carry it along on your next grocery run.
- Dark leafy greens. Greens like collards, spinach, kale and dandelion greens are excellent sources of calcium, vitamins and minerals.
- Oats. A staple at the breakfast table, oats are a good way to get your fiber. Make it into oatmeal or use as a topping on your yogurt. Skip the pesticides and go for organic.
- Nuts and seeds. When you’re looking for protein, nuts and seeds are a good go-to.
- Plant-based milk. Almond, cashew, coconut and oat milk are great alternatives to cow’s milk, which can be a no-no for the lactose intolerant. Pick up the calcium-fortified version for added nutrition.
- Apples. These fall fruits are a convenient way to get your daily fiber intake. Keep the skin on for optimal fiber.
- Citrus fruits. Lemons, oranges, grapefruit and limes are great sources of immune-boosting vitamin C.
- Garlic. It may be small but it’s big in nutrition. Fresh garlic is antiviral and antibacterial and immune-boosting. Chop up a clove or two and add it to your pasta sauces, tea and more.
- Fish. Fresh salmon, tuna, herring and cod are good sources of protein. Purchase wild caught fish as opposed to farm raised, which can contain high levels of mercury.
- Bananas. Full of potassium, bananas are a quick and easy source of energy.
- Water. Staying hydrated is vital to maintaining a healthy weight and flushing toxins from the body.