Feeling Blah? Here are 16 Ways to Feel Better
Most of us are experiencing stress, anxiety, and a lack of optimism these days. From the pandemic to social injustice and racial trauma to just trying to make ends meet, it’s not surprising that many of us suffer a case of the blues from time to time.
Black adults in the U.S. are more likely than white adults to report persistent symptoms of emotional distress such as sadness and hopelessness, according to the federal Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health.
Although seeking out professional help is one of the best ways to cope with sadness, here are some tips and ideas you can implement immediately to beat back the blues.
- Think of and ponder on three things you’re grateful for.
- Get out in nature.
- Practice deep breathing.
- Perform an act of kindness.
- Listen to music or sing.
- Pet a cat or dog.
- Get some sleep.
- Read words of inspiration.
- Connect with friends and loved ones.
- Eat a nourishing meal.
- Watch a funny show or movie.
- Clean and organize your space.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Go easy on yourself.