8 Foods That De-Stress
Enduring stress is a natural part of life. But when stress becomes frequent, it can cause the body to respond in harmful ways, increasing the production of adrenal stress hormones. These hormones are responsible for several symptoms including elevation of blood pressure, muscle tension, digestive disturbance and more. The overproduction of these stress hormones can also cause nutritional deficiencies and overwork the adrenal gland, vital proper nutrition and stress response.
Try these foods that lower stress in the body.
- Celery: can lower blood pressure and improve sleep
- Brown rice: a healthy carb that can trigger the release of calming chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine. It can also lift your mood and elevate your energy levels.
- Sunflower seeds: these little powerhouses are not only full of potassium but they are also rich in B vitamins and zinc, which are great for the adrenal gland.
- Cabbage: contains antioxidant vitamins A, C and E and beta carotene, all essential in fighting free radicals caused by stress
- Algae: full of amino acids that release feel-good hormones, algae helps the liver eliminate toxins. Algae can be purchased at your local health food store.
- Berries: rich in manganese and vitamin C, blackberries, along with strawberries and raspberries, help strengthen the immune system.
- Almonds: Magnesium is what gives almonds their stress-busting powers. Low magnesium can cause nervous tension, insomnia and irritability
- Cucumbers: With its cooling effect on the liver and blood, cucumbers nourish the body by balancing hormones, boosting mood and beating stress.