9 Ways to Sleep Like a Baby
Getting a good night’s sleep starts well before bedtime. There are things you can do during the day to set yourself up for a restful night. Here are some habits to adopt to sleep like a baby.
- Cut the caffeine by noon. Caffeine can stay in the system for hours after your drink it. If you are a coffee connoisseur, then switch to decaf after 12 p.m.
- Eat a heavy dinner early in the evening. Eating late can interrupt your sleep patterns as your body works to digest food. Stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime.
- Avoid drinking any liquids 2-3 hours before bedtime. Avoid the middle-of-the-night trip to the bathroom, which can make getting back to sleep a challenge.
- Don’t train late at night. For some, working out can give the body a burst of energy and make it harder to fall asleep.
- Do a brain dump before bed. Plan your day before bed so that your night is not spent worrying about tomorrow’s tasks.
- Keep your bedroom cool. Set your thermostat for 60-68 degrees for an ideal temperature.
- Go screen-free at least one hour before going to sleep. Scrolling on your phone or tablet can overstimulate the brain. Do some light reading, journal or meditate to calm the mind.
- Keep your room dark. Turn off your television, close the blinds and a turn off all lights in your bedroom to completely calm the brain.
- Eat a nutrient-rich diet. There are several foods that feed the brain. Check out our list here.