Do you experience any of the following?
- Cold hands or feet
- Persistent headaches
- Exhaustion, even after hours of sleep
- Feeling cold constantly
- Inability to sweat
- Lethargy in the morning, while full of energy at night
- Loss of outer third of eyebrow hair
- Low sexual desire
- Cracked heels
- Swollen eyelids, ankles or hands
- Very dry skin or hair
If you answered “yes” to three or more of these questions, you may have an underactive thyroid. Consult your physician and request a blood test.
The thyroid gland regulates the body’s metabolism, energy production and oxygen uptake. Stress can depress the normal function of the thyroid while overstimulation can exhaust the gland, leaving the door open for weight gain in the torso, hips and tops of the legs.
Foods to Avoid
Stay clear of sugar, coffee and alcohol to avoid overstimulation.
Foods to Eat For a Healthy Thyroid
It’s important to eat foods that are rich in magnesium, calcium and potassium to feed your thyroid properly. Here is a list of foods to eat.
- Kelp supplements or superfoods. Click here for a list of superfoods
- Pumpkin seeds
- Brown rice
- Split peas
- Sunflower seeds
- Whole grains