Hungry Before a Workout? 10 Nutritious Pre-Workout Snacks
There has been much debate on whether it’s ok to eat before working out. The verdict: eating before a workout is ok, even encouraged to provide the energy needed to get the job done. But keep these two things in mind: timing and amount.
It’s important to allow the body time to process and digest your snack. At the latest, eat your snack between 30 minutes to 3 hours before beginning your workout. Also, be sure to keep it light, no heavy snacks to weigh you down and make you too full.
Here are some of our favorite pre-workout snacks to fuel your workout.
- Chia seed oatmeal with fruit
- Turkey slice wraps with avocado and celery sticks
- 1 scrambled egg on toast
- Rice cake with nut butter and banana slices
- 1 boiled egg with 1/2 avocado on whole grain toast
- Cottage cheese with sliced strawberries
- Peanut butter with banana on whole grain toast
- Greek yogurt with fruit
- 1 apple or pear with almond butter and chia seed drizzle
- Banana, almond butter and nut milk smoothie
Lastly, don’t forget to hydrate with fresh filtered water.