10 Foods to Avoid Emotional Imbalances
Recent studies have shown that our mental health has a direct link to gut health. Therefore, what you eat matters. Check out this list of 10 foods to avoid if you have depression and anxiety.
1. Wheat bran: This grain contains high levels of phytic acid, which interrupts the absorption of vital nutrients like zinc, which is important for anxiety.
2. Dairy: Cheese and other dairy products are not friendly to gut health. Dairy’s inflammatory effects can stress the body and the brain, triggering anxiety.
3. Refined carbs: sugar-laden carbs like bread, rice, pasta, bagels and cereal can cause blood-sugar swings and anxiety.
4. Alcohol: If you suffer from anxiety, think twice before having that drink to calm down. Alcohol can cause dehydration and negatively affect sleep patterns, both of which can cause anxiety.
5. Gluten: Studies show that food sensitivity like gluten intolerance can cause inflammation and cause anxiety.
6. Coffee: The caffeine may wake you up, but it can spark emotional imbalance as well.
7. Sweets: sugar can inflame the gut, triggering anxiety.
8. Soda: The caffeine, artificial ingredients and aspartame in diet sodas can wreak havoc on your emotions.
9. Fried foods: unhealthy fats in fried foods can increase depression and anxiety.
10. Dark chocolate: This chocolate is a healthy option to milk chocolate, but the levels of caffeine and other compounds can trigger anxiety.
Want to know what foods you can eat to improve gut health? Read more here.