Yoga Poses You Can Do Sitting Down
Aside from walking, yoga may be one of the most versatile, accessible exercises available. Adopting a regular yoga practice can strengthen and tone the body while restoring the mind.
One of the perks of yoga is that several poses can be down while sitting in a chair.
Grab a seat and give these poses a try.
Seated forward bend
- Sit on the edge of your chair. Extend your legs with your feet flexed. Inhale and bending from the hips, exhale, reaching the fingertips to the knees, shins, ankles or feet.
- Hold the stretch for 5 breaths then return to the upright seated position.
Chair pigeon pose
- Sit comfortably in your chair, back straight and feet flat on the floor. Bring the right ankle up to rest on the left thigh. Flexing the right foot, slowly press the right knee down to open the right hip.
- Hold the pose for 5 breaths. Repeat on the other side.
- Sit comfortably in your chair with your feet flat on the floor. Place the hands behind you, fingertips pointing toward your backside. Inhale and lift the chest up and out. Gaze up.
- On your exhale, grasp the front of your chair, round your back and press the chin to your chest. Alternate from cat to cow for 3-5 rounds.
Side angle pose
- Sit comfortably in your chair with your feet flat on the floor and hip width apart. Inhale and on your exhale, twist your torso to the left, reaching the right fingertips to grasp the left ankle. Reach the left fingertips to the sky. Gaze upward, exhaling completely. Hold the pose for 5 breaths, inhaling and exhaling evenly.
- Return to sitting and repeat on the other side.
- Sit tall and comfortably in your chair. Inhale and on your exhale, twist your torso to the left, grasping the seat of the chair with your right hand. Use the chair as an anchor to grasp the left hand, twisting even more.
- Hold the pose for 3 to 5 breaths. Repeat on the other side.