A Beginner’s Guide to the Paleo Diet
As many people struggle with food allergies, health conditions and managing their weight, getting back to simpler ways of preparing foods. The Paleo Diet focuses on this idea of returning to how early humans ate, or more of a hunter-gatherer diet.
Benefits of the Paleo Diet
Clinical trials have found several benefits of adopting a Paleo lifestyle. Some believe this diet is the key to fighting many modern illnesses such as obesity, heart disease and more. Other benefits include:
- Enhanced weight loss
- Improved blood sugar
- Better blood pressure control
- Better appetite management
What to Eat on the Paleo Diet
In addition to drinking plenty of water and exercising each day in adopting this lifestyle, pay special attention to the foods you eat. Foods in the Paleo Diet consists mainly of lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
- Grass-fed meat: Beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork and bacon.
- Wild-caught fish and seafood: Salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, shellfish, etc. Choose wild-caught if you can.
- Eggs: Choose free-range, pastured or omega-3 enriched eggs.
- Vegetables: Cauliflower, broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts, peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, spinach and more.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, plums and more.
- Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, etc.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia and sunflower seeds.
- Healthy fats and oils: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and walnut.
- Salt and spices: Sea salt, garlic, turmeric, rosemary, etc.
- Green tea and coffee
What to Drink/Eat in Small Amounts
- Wine: Good quality red wine is high in antioxidants.
- Dark chocolate: Choose a high-quality dark chocolate that has 70% or higher cocoa content.
Foods to Avoid on the Paleo Diet
- Grains, such as wheat, oats and barley
- Legumes, such as beans, lentils, peanuts and peas
- Dairy products
- Refined sugar
- Highly processed foods