Yoga Foundations: Head to Knee Pose
Today’s pose, head to knee, is a great stretch to relieve tightness in the hamstrings and lower back. It’s also good at increasing flexibility in the torso and arms.
Although this stretch is simple, it can be challenging, depending on your flexibility. The key is to BREATHE. With each exhale, fall deeper into the pose.
How to do Head to Knee pose
- Sit on the floor with your legs wide. Bend your left knee and secure the heel into your left groin.
- Inhale, then on your exhale, lean your torso to the right, pressing your belly to your right thigh.
- Press the left knee toward the floor, as you breathe evenly and reach toward the right toes. Keep your right knee as straight as possible. If allowed, grasp your foot with your hands. It’s ok to grab the ankle.
- Fix your gaze toward your knee or the ground.
- Hold the pose for 3 to 5 breaths. Repeat on the other side.