5 Tips to Keep Dry Skin at Bay During the Winter
Dry, cracked skin is a problem for many during the cold winter months. Severely dry skin can cause cracking and leave the door open for infection. Luckily, there are a few easy lifestyle adjustments you can make to keep the skin healthy.
- Avoid excessively hot showers. Hot water can rob the skin of moisture. Try warm water and be sure to moisturize immediately after your shower to lock in moisture.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Feeding your skin with nutrient-rich oils frequently is vital to combating dry skin. Use natural oils such as coconut, avocado, jojoba or almond oil to hydrate the skin.
- Load up on antioxidants and omega 3s. Add foods like salmon, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, beans and lentils to your diet for glowing skin. Read more foods that are good for the skin.
- Stay hydrated. Make sure you’re drinking enough water throughout the day. Go for 8-10 eight-ounce glasses per day or more, depending on your level of activity.
- Invest in a humidifier. The air inside your home can become extremely dry as we use our heating systems more. A humidifier adds moisture back into the air, helping to stave off dry skin.