6 Healthy Lifestyle Habits for a Longer, Happier Life
Centurions, or people who have lived 100 years or more, seem to be cut from a different cloth. Maybe it’s good genes. Or could it be good living?
Read the top six healthy habits adopted by centurions that can lead to a longer, healthier and happier life.
- Move naturally. Some of the world’s longest-living people consistently move their bodies in the environments around them. Walking is a great way to get a workout in. Commit to walking or moving each day to keep the body and joints mobile.
- Find your purpose. Centurions say they have priorities outside of work, or their “why I wake up in the morning.” Research shows that having a sense of purpose can add years to your life.
- Take a break. Siestas. Naps. Happy hours. Put the work down and take a breather. Downshifting is a great way to shed stress from the day.
- Practice the “80 percent” rule when eating. Never eat until you’re full. Eat only until your stomach is 80 percent full, allowing for proper digestion.
- Get your beans. A common food in the centurion pantry is bean. Black, fava, soy beans and lentils are full of fiber and a great alternative to meat.
- Find your right tribe. Healthy relationships are vital in the quest for longevity. Ditch those stressful relationships and spend time with those who lift your spirits in a healthy way. This goes for spouses, partners, and friends.