Meatless Meal of the Week: Chicken-Less Pot Pie
Going meatless doesn’t mean you have to miss out on comfort food. Chicken pot pie is an easy, one-dish meal that is a satisfying meal for chilly nights. This recipe is a delicious alternative to the traditional pot pie. Served with a small salad, the chicken-less pot pie makes a nutritious meatless meal.
Chicken-less Pot Pie
- 2 frozen deep-dish pie crusts
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 8-10 meatless chicken-less nuggets (Morningstar or Boca)
- 2 tbsps. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 package of frozen vegetables or 2 cups of chopped fresh vegetables (carrots, green beans, onions, potatoes, etc.)
- Salt, pepper and savory spices to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Thaw pie crusts until somewhat pliable, not completely thaw. In a skillet, heat oil. Add chicken-less nuggets and cook until done. Chop into 1/2 inch chunks. Set aside.
In a saucepan, add cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of water, vegetables and spices. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add chicken-less nugget chunks to vegetable mixture.
Fill one pie crust dish with the vegetable and nugget mixture. Gently lay the other pie crust evenly on top of the filled pie crust dish. Leave both pans in place for a few minutes until the top crust has loosened on top of the bottom crust. Gently remove the top pan. The crust should have detached from the pan. Pinch crusts together to create a closure.
Bake pie for 30-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool 15 or 20 minutes. Serve with salad.