10 Easy Steps To Mindful Eating
In today’s environment of constant movement, eating has evolved into a burdensome event for many. Eating a meal is done on the go, in our cars, shoveled down while doing work in front of our computers or binge-watching Netflix. We eat mouthfuls of food without completely chewing each bite, all to beat the clock and move on to the next task.
Eating this way wreaks havoc on our digestive systems and overworks our organs.
If you think about how important food and nutrition are to our survival, then maybe we should begin to eat more mindfully and purposely, yes?
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to eat with purpose for optimal health.
- Give yourself time to eat. Commit to eating your meal in no less than 30 minutes at the table.
- Make sure you are comfortably seated. Take a couple of deep breaths and embrace this time for a nutritious meal. Put your cell phone away and block out any distractions. Elevate the energy of your food and be thankful for the nourishing meal you are going to eat.
- Allow any feelings of impatience to pass. Move beyond thinking of things you need to do. Dedicate this time to enjoying your food.
- Feast your eyes on the food on your plate. Appreciate its visual qualities. Smell the different aromas.
- Be mindful of how much food is on your fork. The smaller the amount, the better.
- Take your time to chew your food and savor the different flavors and spices.
- Chew each mouthful of food thoroughly, at least 30 times.
- Put your fork down between bites. Don’t overwhelm your digestive system.
- Remember not to rush and enjoy your meal.
- When you’re done, remain seated and relax for a few minutes. Feel the satisfaction and nourishment that your meal has given you.