7 Self-Care Tips to Improve Mental Health
When many hear the term “self-care,” they think of a day at the spa. But real self-care involves much more than a manicure and pedicure.
Self-care is a daily practice that, when executed, can drastically improve your mental health.
Incorporate these 7 tips to support your long-term mental health and growth.
- Set boundaries. Decide what your needs are emotionally, physically and mentally each day then set boundaries to fulfill those needs.
- Take some time outside. Studies show that getting out in nature helps improve mental health.
- Eat well. By well, we mean healthful foods. When eating a meal or snacking, make this time special with mindful eating. Read more about mindful eating here.
- Ask for help when needed. For some people, asking for help can be difficult, arousing feelings of embarrassment or inadequacy. Allow yourself to be vulnerable.
- Reach for inspiration. Sometimes, reading or listening to words of inspiration can be just the right pick-me-up.
- Practice Self-Compassion. Be kind to yourself. Treat yourself with the same compassion and understanding you would extend to a loved one. Acknowledge your achievements, practice positive self-talk, and embrace self-acceptance. Remember that self-care begins with self-love.
- Unplug and Disconnect. Constant exposure to technology can take a toll on your mental health. Schedule regular breaks from screens, social media, and emails. Disconnecting allows you to recharge, reduce stress, and cultivate a greater sense of presence in the moment.