8 Ways to Get Rid of Headaches Naturally
Having a headache can throw your day off, or worse, confine you to bed and stop all progress on your to-do list.
Before you grab those pills, try these natural remedies to soothe head pain and get you back on track.
- Drink water. Many times, dehydration manifests itself in headaches. Drink 8-16 ounces of water to ease head pain.
- Cut the alcohol. Wine and alcohol can cause headaches as well as sleep disturbances. Limit your alcohol intake to keep headaches at bay.
- Get proper sleep. This is one of the most important tools in warding off headaches. Resting the body allows your brain to rest and release tension.
- Avoid foods that are high in histamine. Limit your intake of foods and drinks like beer, aged cheese, smoked fish, cured meats.
- Use essential oils. Used topically, lavender and peppermint oil can calm the mind and dissipate headaches. Mix a few drops in a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba. Close your eyes, rub oil on your temples and deeply inhale the scent for instant relaxation.
- Cut the caffeine. Like alcohol, caffeine in coffee and some teas can cause headaches. If you must have caffeine, limit the amount you drink and don’t drink it after noon as it can also interfere with your sleep.
- Try feverfew. This herb is known to release tension headaches and even migraines. Try it in pill form.
- Exercise. Headaches can result from stress. Exercise is a great way to release anxiety and tension, and ward off headaches. Get your blood pumping!