Improve Your Mental Health With These 9 Simple Changes
Just like we invest in taking care of our bodies physically, it’s just as important to invest in your mental health.
Here are ways to keep stress at bay and improve your mental health.
- Eat well. Consuming high quality foods, such as fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and cutting out sugar can have a positive effect on mental and overall health.
- Stay hydrated. Ever had a headache then drank water and it went away? Water not only quenches thirst but nourishes the brain. Drink 8-10 eight-ounce glasses of water daily to stay hydrated.
- Get physical. Getting daily exercise is a great way to release good-feeling endorphins and deliver blood and oxygen to the brain. Aim to move at least 30 minutes per day.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking. Studies show that consuming alcohol and smoking are detrimental to the brain and mental health.
- Sleep. Getting proper rest is one of the most important factors in achieving optimal health. Aim to get 8-10 hours of sleep per night.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Learn the power of “no”. Overextending yourself can be stressful, leading to compromised mental health.
- Find your tribe. Surround yourself with those who support you and uplift you.