5 Yoga Poses to Ground and Calm the Spirit
In our fast-paced, ever-changing world, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed, anxious, and disconnected from our inner selves. You may feel uncomfortable and off balance mentally and spiritually. Yoga offers a path to finding inner calm and grounding. By practicing specific yoga poses designed to ground and calm the spirit, you can reconnect with your inner peace and find serenity amidst the chaos. Yoga can help bring you back to your center and calm your nerves.
Grab your mat and perform these poses to unwind your spine, loosen your hips, and release tension to balance your body and spirit.
- Sit comfortably with the legs criss cross on the floor. Tuck the left heel underneath the right buttocks. Bend the knee of the right leg and slowly place the right foot on the outside of the left knee.
- Turn the torso to the right, hooking your left elbow on the outside of the right knee. Twist from the lower torso, fixing your gaze over your right shoulder. Breathe.
- Hold the pose for 10-20 seconds and continue to breathe deeply. Twist the torso more on each exhale.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Begin on your hands and knees. Place your right femur on the ground in front of you. Bring your right knee forward towards your right wrist.
- Examine what you feel in your body and make adjustments for what feels right for you. Stretch on your outer hip without any discomfort in your knee.
- Begin to slide your left leg back and point your toes. The top of your foot is flat on the floor and your heel is pointing up to the ceiling.
- Use a folded blanket or yoga block to support your right buttock if needed. Keep your hips level and facing forward.
- As you inhale, press your fingertips into the floor while lengthening your spine. Open and expand your chest.
- Exhale, walking your hands forward and lower your upper body towards the floor. If allowed, rest your arms and forehead on the mat.
- Stay for 5 breaths or longer. Breathe any tension out of your right hip.
- To release the pose, push back through the hands, lift your hips and move your leg back into all fours. Come into child’s pose to relax and reset. Repeat on the other side.
- Lie on your back with your knees drawn in toward your chest.
- Raise your head and grab a hold to your big toe or the outer part of the feet. Your arms should be in front of your shins.
- Lower your head while pulling your knees to your chest.
- Your tailbone should be touching the ground.
- Rock from side to side.
- While you are rocking release a deep laugh from the diagram.
- Hold for sixty seconds.
Seated forward bend
- Sit tall with your feet hip-width apart.
- Take a deep breath in, then exhale as you bend forward from the hips.
- Reach for your knees, shins, or toes.
- Aim to press your chest against your thighs. Relax the muscles in your head and neck.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds.
- Come to a kneeling position on the floor with your heels under your buttocks and your knees wide.
- Sit back on your heels, resting your torso on your thighs. Place your forehead as close to the floor as possible.
- Place your hands flat on the floor. Spread the fingers apart and stretch the arms gently forward.
- Release any tension in your neck and shoulders.
- Close your eyes. Relax and breathe smoothly for 10 deep breaths.