7 Practical Ways to Live More Sustainably
In a world facing climate change, environmental degradation, and resource depletion, it’s becoming increasingly important for individuals to take responsibility for their impact on the planet. Harsh weather, the spread of deadly diseases, environmental damage and food insecurity all stem from climate change. Living more sustainably is a crucial step in this direction. By making small, conscious choices in our daily lives, we can reduce our carbon footprint and contribute to a healthier, more sustainable future.
Although it seems like a daunting task, there are things that each of us can do in our own homes to show our planet some love.
- Reduce purchases. Ask yourself if there is a need to the item you’re about to purchase.
- Do an “Eco-Cleanse”: For one day or a few hours a day, don’t buy anything, don’t use machines, don’t turn on electric appliances, etc.
- Buy used. Check out products at garage sales or consignment shops, on Ebay, Craigslist and local thrift stores. When making a purchase on Amazon, search “refurbished.”
- Start an exchange with family and friends. Borrow or share things like books, magazines and other items.
- Cut down on items made from trees, like paper towels and disposable cutlery. Use cloth napkins, real plates and cutlery.
- Buy in bulk.
- Buy quality items that will last.